Of course the tiny rag doll need overalls. And they come in mr. socks size too cause I’m nice like that. They’re easy and quick to make and you could scale the pattern up for larger dolls. Sew them completely by hand or some seams can be done on machine if you like.
You will need :
the template – get the doll overalls template here and the mr. socks overalls template here.
light weight cotton fabric
a basic sewing kit
and optional – tiny buttons and little scraps for patches
1. Pin the strap fabric to single piece of fabric. Pin the overalls pattern to a doubled piece with the right sides together. Pin the lining to a single piece of fabric – you can use a contrasting fabric or the same as the overalls.
Note – I’m using a print from the French General new lawn cottons. The prints are all super sweet and great for small dolls.
2. Mark the seam line lightly in pencil on the wrong side of the lining piece and both overall pieces. It’s also helpful to mark the front and back on the overall pieces as indicated on the pattern.
3. With the right sides of the fabric together sew just the front seam of the overalls as shown in red above – stopping at the end of the curve.
4. Clip a couple little notches in the seam allowance at the curve. Be careful not to clip the seam.
5. Press the straight part of the seam open.
6. Press the top seam allowance over – wrong sides together – on the lining and overalls.
7. Place the lining on the overalls with the right sides together and pin. Stitch only the curved seams as shown above. Clip little notches into the seam allowance.