Valentines day is right around the corner and nothing says “Hey, I love you and thought of you” like an angry apple core you made yourself. Just saying. Plus I made you a free sewing pattern and everything. Say it with ragey, mostly eaten fruit this year.
Everybody’s in such a bad mood!
You will also need:
- cotton fabric scraps
- a little wool felt for the stem
- wool stuffing
- a bamboo skewer
- a chopstick
- a basic sewing kit
1. Cut out 3 center pieces and two top/bottom circles. Draw the seam allowance on the wrong side of all pieces – you can trace or use a ruler. Mark one of the center pieces with the dots on the pattern (this will be the opening for turning and stuffing). Cut out the stem and two leaf shapes.
2. Flip one center piece (not the one with the dots) over and trace the face lightly on the right side of the fabric in pencil. You can embroider the face at this point if you like. I prefer to embroider on finished stuff shapes.
3. Pin the center piece with the face to the center piece with the opening marks together as shown – right sides together (remember the face is on the right side of the fabric). Stitch the seam that does not have the opening marked.
4. Open the pieces you just stitched so the right side of the fabric is facing you. Place the third center piece over the face piece and pin.
5. Sew the seam.
6. Pin the two remaining edges together and sew the seam- leaving open between the marks.
7. Make clips in the seam allowance at the opening marks. Be careful not to snip the seam.
8. Fold back the edges of the opening, press and baste each edge down – we will remove these stitches later.