Little chicks! Super quick and easy to make. And you can make little chicken families using the free chicken sewing pattern.
You just need fabric scraps and a few other things to get started.
You will also need:
- fabric scraps – light cotton or linen
- felt (I like wool felt)
- embroidery thread
- glue stick
- a basic sewing kit
- pencil or disappearing marker
1. Pin the body pattern to 2 layers of fabric with the right sides together and cut out.
2. Mark the seam line, location for the beak and opening marks lightly in pencil or disappearing marker. Cut out the beak from felt. Pin the body pieces – right sides together – near the tail end.
3. Add a tiny bit of glue to just the back edge of the beak.
4. Fold back the top layer of fabric and place on the body fabric exactly as shown – point facing in. Use the guide lines on the wrong side of the fabric to check the placement.
5. Fold the top layer back down, pin and stitch the seam with very small, straight stitches. I got a much better result stitching these by hand. After stitching trim little triangles into the seam allowance being careful not to clip the seam.
Support free patterns like little chicks! And keep the awesome free projects flowing.
6. Use your chopstick to turn the chick right side out. Push all the curves out with firm pressure.
7. Stuff with wool.
8. Fold in the opening of the edges and stitch closed.
9. You will find this method for hiding your knots helpful for embroidering the details. I added an X on each side for eyes using 2 strands of embroidery thread.
10. You can leave the beak as is or clip a little triangle out of the center.
11. For the legs use embroidery thread. Put the needle in the bottom seam as shown – coming out about 3/4 of an inch from where you inserted.
12. Pull the thread through so you have some length on each end and knot close to the fabric
13. Trim the legs. Use starch to give them a little stiffness (pro tip – hair gel works too)
You could also add a couple stitches on the side for a little wing detail and a hanging string (use this method again to hide the ends).