A lot of what I do in life starts with “I wonder what happens if I do this…” That’s how this blog started 17 years ago and that’s what keeps it going. Curiosity, imagination and the joy in making things remain the driving forces here.
Some things that got invented in the 17th year of the blog experiment:
- miss thistle’s house and plate rack
- dancing bunnies
- scrappy bunting
- little chicks
- mice went glamping
- scrappy trees broke the internet – who knew… That project got picked up by the google newsletter and spread like crazy. The internet has gotten real weird and kinda dicey in 17 years but I do love that stuff like that can happen.
- the stitch book project – now in its second year (another internet miracle – thousands of people showing up for 15 minutes of stitch experiments for 100 days)
sew-alongs and the winning cardinal
We had our first ever sew-along in October – the crow followed by the owl and currently the cardinal sew-along. The cardinals are made from the songbird sewing pattern with these alterations. Let’s start with the winner of the cardinal sew-along.
It was hard to choose! The cardinal sew-along winner is @flora.twigg (I’ll dm you regarding your prize- a bundle of fabulous scraps spanning continents and centuries!)
Check out more awesome cardinals and other projects made by readers below. I’ve added links to the maker wherever possible, you will find a pinterest level of rabbit hole fun exploring them. If you see your photo but I missed your link please let me know – I’m happy to add it.
This is not a real mushroom! Wow. It was made with the mushroom sewing pattern and stitched by @ana.montesdemiguel
1. @littlepostcards 2. Mary Kelly 3. and 4. annika. 5. @astitchwhimsy. 6. @peaceandcraft 7. Nancy 8. @Elisabew
crow by @jillthereckless
1. @kezwilson.3 2.@sarahblankstudios. 3.@revedesouris 4. @lucindawalkerart 5. @smith_cuts_sews 6. @tumblingblocks 7. @jo_broz
owl by Terry Wilson
The most significant milestone of the 17th year is the stitch club community. The glorious pink owl by Terry Wilson was posted in the owl sew-along. Currently over 3000 creative members are sharing their work, trying stuff and finding friends.
Thanks so much for showing up and happy anniversary!