I’ve made you something! A free sewing pattern for some very nice mice. You can download the pattern here and all the instructions are below. So little – just 3 inches tall. They are quick and very easy. And they love to go boating – they are the perfect size to captain my little felt boats.
I designed this pattern specifically for hand sewing and felt. The seam allowance of 1/8 inch is included. I recommend small, tight, straight stitches with cotton thread.
felt ( wool or wool blend)
matching sewing thread ( I think cotton works best)
stuffing ( I like wool)
pencil or disappearing fabric marker and – optionally – pink colored pencil
sewing and embroidery needles ( a sturdy sewing needle is helpful for sewing through multiple layers of felt)
chopstick for turning and stuffing
1. Cut one back and two side pieces from felt.
2. Mark both side pattern pieces with the guide dots on the pattern.
3. Cut out the small pieces – I used a lighter scrap of felt for the tummy oval (textured wool or cotton is nice too).
4. Stitch the side pieces together from the tip of the nose to the bottom guide mark – your stitches should be an 1/8th of an inch from the edge of the felt.
5. Optional – use a colored pencil to add a little pink to the ears.
6. Open the side pieces you sewed together.
7. Place the top of the back piece (the narrow end) in the center, matching the top edges. Insert the needle 1/8th of an inch from the top coming out on one side of the center seam (the side you intend to sew first). Make one tiny stitch and knot tightly.
8. Turn the back piece to one side and begin to match the edges and sew the seam-following the curve and maintaining an even 1/8 inch seam allowance.
9. Stop sewing and knot your thread just before the pattern guide dot on the side piece – leave there needle and thread attached.
10. Fold the bottom of an ear together – with the pink inside.