The songbird PDF pattern is in the shop.
Get the PDF digital pattern here and the booklet version here.
It has more than 100 color photos and detailed instructions. You need basic sewing skills and some patience if you are a beginner.
And to celebrate the instructions for making a realistic bird leg are below. I hope you make songbirds!
How to make a realistic bird leg with wire:
You can use any gauge wire you like, I think that 19 gauge soft annealed wire is the easiest to work with and provides enough stability for the legs. You can build up the thickness of the legs and feet by adding additional layers of floral tape.
1. Gather the wire, floral tape, hammer, pliers and cutters, ruler and a surface to hammer on, I’m using a little anvil but any very hard surface will do.
Cut 2 – 12 inch lengths of wire.
4. Hold the loop just past where the wire crosses with the pliers. Bend the long end of the wire so it is perpendicular to the loop.
5. Wrap the long end of the wire around the short end behind the loop. Wrap as tightly as you can, keeping you fingers very close to the wrapping.
12. As you reach the foot bend the end up between the toes and continue to press the folded wires together.
13. Use the pliers to squeeze the bend at the top and press the wires more closely together.
14. Starting just above the foot use floral tape to tightly wrap the wires together. Wrap all the way to the top of the leg.
15. Trim and straighten the toes and wrap the top of the foot, pressing the bent wire to the wrapped wire tightly. Use your pliers to straighten and trim the toes if necessary.
16. Shape the toes with your pliers and wrap with floral tape. Add more layers of tightly wrapped tape if you would like more thickness.
17. And finally add a little bend to the leg about an inch above the foot.
Finish the leg with paint, I mix about one part craft or acrylic paint with 3 parts wood glue. It makes a hard surface and you can paint on several layers letting the dry in between to build up the surface.
Get my free weekly-ish newsletter, there are tips and tricks, ideas, stuff to try, all the latest news and blogposts and extra stuff, just for subscribers, delivered mostly on Friday. Pretty much.