I started working on a new pattern in October.
It’s a long process for me – experiments and trial and error – I enjoy it immensely. I make piles and piles of prototypes and duds – learning a little bit from each. It wakes me up early and keeps me up late. This is the first finished lamb:
The next lambs were made from vintage tablecloths.
I love vintage linens and I very particularly love vintage linens with roses. I had 2 that wanted to be lambs – both had some staining in areas making them not so desirable to use as tablecloths – otherwise I would have saved them for the country home I will ultimately have.
I also used a depression era drape I found upstate last summer and one little black lamb is made from edwardian garments. I’ve finished a little flock now and they will arrive in the shop tomorrow 12/18 (noonish EST).
Whenever I post about creating a new creature or pattern I always get a ton of email from people who would like to do the same – looking for a course or a book. I haven’t known of a great resource until lately: Abby Glassenberg has written a comprehensive guide to sewing in 3 dimensions and I’ll tell you more about it in my next post.