Elegantly dressed, or quite nude. It’s your choice. The finished doll is 16 inches tall. The pattern includes instructions for both versions. And there are sweet details like earrings and a fancy hairdo.
This pattern took forever to make. You may have noticed… It was mostly because I kept changing my mind about how to make and stuff the head. I’m super happy with the solution I finally settled on, I love the result and it’s simple to do. The other good news is I’m shipping wool again – it’s the ideal stuffing for the elegant dolls.
And I’ve included the doll skirt pattern for you below. It’s a super easy way to make a doll skirt and you could easily scale it to fit any doll.
I hope you make elegant dolls! If you do I’d love to see – please use #annwoodpattern on instagram or send an email to info at ann wood handmade dot com.
There is a free tutorial for the slippers too – find it right here.
Find the skirt pattern and directions below. And to add the bustle detail like the skirts above gather a little section in the front and add a little button.
You will need:
- a 16 X 9 inch piece of cotton fabric
- one yard ribbon or string
- large safety pin
- basic sewing kit
1. Down load the skirt pattern and pin it along the fold of your doubled fabric – right sides together – and cut out. Clip out the triangles.
2. With the wrong side of the fabric facing you fold over and press the side fabric between the triangle clips.Stitch them in place with a small, neat straight stitch.
3. Fold over the top edge at 1/4 inch and press.
4. Fold the tabs on both sides of the top over, press and stitch in place with s small neat straight stitch.
5. Fold the top over at the triangle clip, press and pin.
6. Stitch the edge down with a hem stitch. A hem stitch is stitching over the edge, alternating short and long stitches.
7. Fold the skirt in half- right sides together and stitch the seam line.
8. Press the skirt seam open. Attach a large safety pin to your ribbon or string.
9. Insert the safety pin into the channel at the top and use it to pull the ribbon through – scrunching the fabric over it.
10. Turn the skirt right side out and try it on your doll – using the ribbon to gather the waist. Stitch the edge down with a hem stitch. A hem stitch is stitching over the edge, alternating short and long stitches. Press the skirt seam open. Attach a large safety pin to your ribbon or string. Hem your skirt to any length you like – turn the edge over twice pin and then hem stitch.